Pavstheway

Sunday, December 18, 2005

corporate finance and romance

In an effort today to keep myself from descending into utter and complete boredom I start to read my brother's Corporate Finance Textbook.

Yes, this may represent a new low. I have to say that it was fascinating to finally get some of the terminology that has been floating around me - equity and securities, partnerships versus corporations, venture capitalism - and all that jazz. Made me think about what if's and career choices. Especially since I've been debating applying to the MBA program versus the MPH (masters in public health) programs all year, and finally decided to not to do the MBA program. It seems so useful to know about micro and macroeconomics and finance. But ultimately I think I'm too much of a do-gooder - because in the end of all of that, isn't it just all about a pile of paper bills?

Not that money isn't nice. And I'd like to have some, someday instead of this nice little pile of debt that I've accumulated. I just don't think I'm ready to dedicate my career to it. Maybe I'm foolish and idealistic and should be more finance-savvy.

I think being home for the holidays always makes me re-evaluate things. It's part of sleeping in the same room where all my childish dreams and hopes once occurred. Where did I think I would be at this age? Am I there yet? What does it say about me that I'm 24 and still returning to my parent's house for christmas and sleeping in my same bed? Nothing I guess, but I'm at that weird age where I feel like there should be something more. Maybe someone else coming home with me and meeting the parents for the first time. Maybe being able to buy christmas presents with an income of my own. It's an odd sense of delayed childhood to still be in school, still be as single as ever. I'm getting tired of the litany of questions from cousins and friends that are an inevitable part of coming home and "catching up". Maybe I should just where a button that says "YES, I am STILL single, and NO there is nothing interesting to report".

Maybe I should have become an investment banker and moved to a nice apartment in NYC with an even nicer corporate boyfriend.

That's the thing about life though - maybe I'd be in the same spot asking an entirely different set of questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home